Tuesday, January 1, 2013

I am interviewed by A Foodie World

What a great way to begin the New Year!  The Hong Kong-based magazine A Foodie World interviewed me for one of its January 2013 feature articles.  You can read the online interview here.
Flickr: bekiwithian (apparently the white stuff is the vegetarian versions of burgers and sausages)

As the title indicates "Confessions of an ex-vegetarian" is all about my fourteen years as a vegetarian, as well as some other foodies' experiences on the non-meat-eating side of the foodie fence.

Fourteen years is a long time.  Until I did the interview I didn't even realize just how long I was a vegetarian.  I have to say that while I wish I could take back many of my unwise 'life choices' I don't feel particularly bad about being a vegetarian for that long, nor am I particularly proud of it.

It would be interesting, though, to know what my body would look like now if I had been able to adopt a healthy diet when I was twenty-three--working out, not eating massive amounts of carbohydrates, eating mostly 'real food' like I do now--rather than what I did do.

Other than the fact that I never shared a steak with my mother before she died, I don't have many food regrets.  Well, that's not true--I do regret a lot of the solitary eating I did in middle school, high school and college involving candy, cake, doughnuts, and diner take-out. Those were a lot of joyless calories that got in the way of me really living my life. I guess for people who don't have the constitution or inclination to be heavy drinkers, stuffed French toast is as close as we'll get to a long weekend.

Flick: karen_neoh


I'm tempted to say that food that is shared is never to be regretted, but that wouldn't be accurate either.  I've enjoyed many solitary meals and hated many social ones.  I guess the exact 'prescription' for every person's diet is that delicate balance of 'just the right food, in just the right quantity, at just the right time, for just the right reason.'  Which can be so hard to strike.

Do you have any food regrets about the way you ate in the past?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting article! But I am a little puzzled by the woman who gives her child mutton. I've never had mutton, but even lamb is too gamy for me. If someone had given me mutton as a child, I'm sure I'd be a confirmed vegetarian today.

    Once I had lunch with Carol (of the ratatouille Thanksgiving dinner) and she insisted that I have a veggie burger so I could see how good they really were. This way maybe twenty years ago and perhaps they've improved since then, but this thing wasn't even soy; it was made mostly out of bread. It was basically a bread patty on a bun. She kept saying, "isn't that good?" and I'm pretty sure she would have flipped a table over if I hadn't agreed that it was delicious. It wasn't too bad, actually, but the bun was completely unnecessary.

    I don't have regrets about the way I've eaten, unhealthy though it may have been, but I do wish I had learned to cook before my dad died so I could have made some dinners for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @flurrious--her behavior overall with the child seemed odd. She isn't a vegetarian but doesn't want him to eat meat, even though he likes it? Weird.

    I was a 'bad eater' as a kid and never developed a taste for good meat until an adult, so processed veggie burgers didn't taste that much different from processed hamburgers. And the sense of 'breadiness' is one reason why I find it easier to stay fit on a non-vegetarian diet because vegetarian ones are so high in carbohydrates.

    It's funny how many food regrets center around a parent's death...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ate a lot of carb-filled foods as a kid and was always chubby...and I think that tempered a lot of my body image issues. If I could go back, I wouldn't eat just for the sake of eating, I'd eat because something tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Joanne--I so totally agree with you. I think being overweight as a kid can really mess up your mind, body-wise, no matter how thin or fit you become as an adult.

    ReplyDelete