Saturday, October 6, 2012

Challah Dough Coffee Cake

So, after making my first three challahs using this recipe, I went from never having made challah to becoming challah-obsessed.

This isn't an unusual life pattern with me. I don't watch much TV now, but I have watched every single episode of Black Beauty (a rather obscure British television series for children), every Avengers with Diana Rigg as Emma Peel, and all the Doctor Whos with Tom Baker because as a kid when I was fixated upon a television program, the time that it was on the air governed my life. Yes, we had a VHS but seeing it on VHS WASN'T THE SAME.

Wuthering Heights, The Pony Problem, Hamlet...all had to be bought several times because I literally read them to shreds.

Fortunately, people don't listen to tapes anymore, because I also had to buy several copies of the soundtracks of Broadway musicals because I listened to them until the black plastic thread of the cassette snapped.

So, when I read on the King Arthur website that the easy challah recipe could be used to make three yeasted coffee cakes as well as three challahs, I had to give it a try.

The directions for all of these coffee cakes is pretty much the same--make the challah dough, refrigerate it for at least four hours, add in your mix-ins, let it rise for 90 minutes and bake for thirty minutes.  You can't find an easier recipe.

This would be great if you're having people over for brunch.  Make the dough, divide into thirds, and make three totally different coffee cakes.  Add some fruit salad and maybe some yogurt or bacon on the side and you've got a perfect, homemade spread.

Oh, and in case your wondering--these are coffee cakes, not crumb cakes.  There is a difference. Crumb cakes usually don't contain yeast and are topped with crumbs. Coffee cakes tend to be dry, not very sweet cakes that are perfect compliments to coffee.  They can contain crumbs but they don't have to.

I admit that the savory one is a bit of a cheat and straddles the line between a 'savory cake' and a bread, but you can call it whatever you like--the sharp cheese contrasts nicely with the sweet honey challah dough. 

Even if you don't use these add-ins, I highly recommend trying a challah dough as a sturdy backbone to 'make your own' coffee cake, no matter how unusual or plain.

Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake

Ingredients

1/3 of of King Arthur's No-Knead Challah Recipe (refrigerated for at least 4 hours)
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon

 
Directions

1. Take 1/3 of the dough recipe (approximately a 'blob' the size of an orange) and mix in the chips. Press into a 9x9 round pan.
 2. Sift the sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle on as a topping.
3. Cover the pan. Let rise for 90 minutes. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F



Peanut Butter Caramel Coffee Cake

Ingredients

1/3 of of King Arthur's No-Knead Challah Recipe (refrigerated for at least 4 hours)
2/3 cup peanut butter chips
1/4 cup caramel baking bits or caramel sauce 



Directions

1. Take 1/3 of the dough recipe (approximately a 'blob' the size of an orange) and mix in the chips. Press into a 9x9 round pan.
 2. Top with the caramel baking bits, if using.
3. Cover the pan. Let rise for 90 minutes. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F. If using caramel sauce instead, swirl onto the warm cake before cooling.

Savory Parmesan-Romano 'Cake'


Ingredients

1/3 of of King Arthur's No-Knead Challah Recipe (refrigerated for at least 4 hours)
1/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan-Romano cheese blend plus 1-2 tablespoons extra, reserved
  
Directions

1. Take 1/3 of the dough recipe (approximately a 'blob' the size of an orange) and mix in the cheese. Press into a 9x9 round pan.
 2. Top with additional cheese.
3. Cover the pan. Let rise for 90 minutes. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350F.



3 comments:

  1. I thought I'd made coffee cake before, but now I realize it was crumb cake. Also, I think I used Bisquick, so maybe it wasn't even technically food.

    I used to read books over and over again. When I was very young, I read a book called "Little Witch" about a million times and I guess my copy eventually was discarded. As an adult I was always on the lookout for another copy, but it went out of print ages ago. People were selling it on Amazon for ridiculous asking prices; finally one guy listed a copy for five bucks. I snapped it up and he sent me a bunch of loose pages that smelled like mold. Moreover, it turned out that this is a terrible book. Some things are better left in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh NO! I was thinking of doing the same thing with some of my childhood favorites now out-of-print (A Pony for Jean, Panky in the Saddle, the Windy Foot books). But the prices were just absurd. Now I'm thinking it's probably for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love challah bread. And I'd love this cake.

    ReplyDelete