Monday, February 13, 2012

Giant Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies






Valentine's Day is tomorrow.  I suppose you're expecting a cynical or angry post for me, since I'm a middle-aged woman with no significant other.  I honestly don't like jewelery (cash before diamonds, please), and while I am still fond of stuffed animals, I prefer stuffed horses and Snoopys rather than teddy bears. I loathe gardening (no roses, please) and most romantic comedies give me hives.

However, one of my favorite films is Sense and Sensibility.  In the period film, the cool, contained sister Elinor, her heart broken because the only man she ever loved is promised to another woman, eventually breaks down and turns on her more emotional, passionate sister:

"What do you know of my heart? What do you know of anything but your own suffering? For weeks, Marianne, I've had this pressing on me without being at liberty to speak of it to a single creature. It was forced on me by the very person whose prior claims ruined all my hope. I have endured her exultations again and again whilst knowing myself to be divided from Edward forever. Believe me, Marianne, had I not been bound to silence I could have provided proof enough of a broken heart, even for you." 

I haven't seen the film in a long time, but watching Elinor unfreeze, and drop her guard, tormented just as much by her sister's concept of her as an Ice Woman as she is by the fact that she can never marry Edward, is emblazoned on my brain.  And she still uses whilst correctly, even when distraught!  Take that, Gossip Girl (which I have never watched, but have experienced by proxy, through the bad grammar of teenagers).


The truth is, in my past, I've had many romantic moments. Reading "She walks in beauty like the night," and imagining Lord Byron composing it about me. His sexy club foot. And his chained bear cub beside him. (With his frustration at the difference between modern Greeks and the Greeks of the Iliad, and his fondness for crash dieting, we could have totally bonded). Imagining myself as Elaine, pining hopelessly for Lancelot. (I could have given you more than Guinevere!) Singing "On My Own," from Les Miserables so many times, off-key in my room, that my mother asked me if I wouldn't mind listening to some death metal instead. Burning with jealously even in the second grade when a girl came to school in a perfect ensemble of a red sweater and leg warmers decorated with hearts. Watching the boys stare at her, even at that young age.  Sending an anonymous small Valentine to my crush in the 4th grade.

These chocolate cookies are totally over-the-top.


But sometimes, if only once a year, extravagant gestures in the form of chocolate, or otherwise, are acceptable. Poetry, chain mail, and chained bear cub are optional.

Giant Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies

--makes 6 huge cookies--

Ingredients

6 tablespoons of cooled, melted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large, beaten egg
1/4 cup dark unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon coarse, crunchy sea salt + more for sprinkling
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 cups bittersweet chocolate chips

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 350F, line two baking sheets with parchment paper
2. Mix butter and sugar together, followed by the egg. Sift the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking soda together in a separate bowl, then incorporate into the wet mixture slowly.
3. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Spoon out in 1/4 cup-sized heaps onto the baking sheets.  Sprinkle with additional sea salt, if desired. Bake for 10 minutes.  Cookies will be slightly underdone.  Best eaten the day after since these are a bit like 'brownies' in cookie form.  Give as a gift, or eat yourself while reading some Victorian literature.

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know Lord Byron had a club foot, much less that it was a sexy one. But then members of the peerage always get a lot of leeway in the sexiness department.

    I don't usually have any feelings about Valentine's Day, regardless of whether I'm seeing someone or not. But if someone gave me one of those Jane Seymour open heart necklaces, I believe I would have angry feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the necklace (I actually don't remember the last time I wore a necklace) but I wouldn't mind a sword or a noble steed to gallop away upon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much chocolate *drool* :). I really have little opinion on Valentines day. Were I in a relationship I would celebrate it happily, probably in some unecessary over-the-top way. But since I'm not, meh, whatever, I think I'll watch some Fringe tonight :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Adam--Beyond the Fringe, the old British comedy show? British comedy sounds like a perfect 'non-celebration Valentine's Day' staple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahaha..no (but I wonder if that's on Netflix)-- Fringe, on Fox, kinda like X-Files. Though, going with the British theme, maybe I'll watch Spaced instead :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Adam--yes, a bit of British irony on Valentine's Day is probably a good thing (although aliens might be more appropriate). That's why I like a lot of salt with my chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete